If you use wamp for PHP/ MySQL development this article to configure an email server for testing locally on your PC may be handy. This article is about installing mercury mail server on wamp. First of all download Mercury/32 Mail Transport System for Win32 and NetWare Systems v4.72 www.pmail.com/downloads_s3_t.htm Mozilla Thunderbird www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/thunderbird/ Wamp (if you …...
How to Configure Mercury Mail Server on Wamp
If you use wamp for PHP/ MySQL development this article to configure an email server for testing locally on your PC may be handy.
This article is about installing mercury mail server on wamp. First of all download
- Mercury/32 Mail Transport System for Win32 and NetWare Systems v4.72
- Mozilla Thunderbird www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/thunderbird/
- Wamp (if you do not have it already) www.wampserver.com/en/download.php
Install Wamp. I have installed it in d:\wamp. It is important to install it in the topmost directory.
- SMTP: example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Finish the wamp installation.
In your current windows installation locate the hosts file. In my system windows is installed in C drive and location is
Open the hosts file with notepad and add the following three lines at the end of the file.
- 127.0.0.1 www.example.com # for browser access
- 127.0.0.1 mail.example.com #for email access
- 127.0.0.1 example.com #for mercury mail server
Locate the httpd conf file in your wamp installation. In my system the path is D:\wamp\bin\apache\Apache2.2.11\conf
Remove the line
Add the line
Now start the wamp server.
You should be able to access the wamp server by using www.example.com and http://localhost interchangeably.
Create a folder inside the wamp installation called MercuryMail.
Start the Mercury Mail Server Installation and give the installation path as D:\wamp\MercuryMail
Select New Installation
Select No Netware Support
Directory for Mercury/32 is D:\wamp\MercuryMail
Click on No Pegasus mail integration
In the Protocol Mail Section select
- MecuryS- SMTP Server module
- MercuryP- POP3 Server Module
- MercuryD-POP3 Client Module
- MercuryH- PH Query Server Module
- MercuryB-HTTP Web Server module
- Select MercuryE module for SMTP and enter the server: example.com
- Select a SMTP relaying mode : Normal
Once you have finished the installation You can start Mercury mail from Start-Programs Mercury for Win32 – Mercury for Win3
A mercury/32 window will open
Click on Widows – Tile to arrange it.
In D:\wamp\MercuryMail edit the mercury.ini file
In the line myname: localhost # Canonical name for this server
Replace localhost with example.com
Restart the mercury mail server.
In the mercury/32 window go the Configuration – manage local Users
Create two users.
Try to send a test mail through mercury/32 window.
Install Mozilla Thunderbird Setup 2 email accounts from Tools – Account settings
Server name will be mail.example.com while setting up accouts.
Try sending mail from email@example.com to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It should work and you are done!